NYS Department of Health Offers Information on Pediatric Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome, Related to Covid-19
According to the New York State Department pf health, though most children who get COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms, Pediatric Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome has features which overlap with Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome and may occur days to weeks after acute COVID-19 illness.
New Yorkers should seek immediate care from the family's health care provider if a child has:
• Prolonged fever (more than five days)
• Difficulty feeding (infants) or is too sick to drink fluids
• Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting
• Change in skin color - becoming pale, patchy and/or blue
• Trouble breathing or is breathing very quickly
• Racing heart or chest pain
• Decreased amount of frequency in urine
• Lethargy, irritability or confusion
Early recognition by pediatricians and referral to a specialist including to critical care is essential.