New To the RCSD or Not, If You're NOT Receiving Messages From The School District, Please Check Your Status and Customize SchoolMessenger Messages, See the Info Below
IMPORTANT UPDATE – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
As you may know, Rhinebeck Central School District uses the SchoolMessenger callout service to phone, email and text our parents and staff about emergencies, school closings, and early dismissals, as well as to remind them about school activities and important dates. As we look to continue to reduce the amount of paper that we send home, we will be increasingly using SchoolMessenger to email forms and pertinent school and district information.
SchoolMessenger has recently upgraded their system, and it will now be even easier for parents, guardians, and employees to set their notification preferences and to add additional contact information to the system.
PDFs from SchoolMessenger are located on our website at District – Forms & Documents that provide additional information.
School Messenger Sign Up Notification http://www.rhinebeckcsd.org/tinymce/js/tinymce/plugins/moxiemanager/data/files/SchoolMessenger%20App%20Sign%20Up%20Notification.pdf
SchoolMessenger App for Families - http://www.rhinebeckcsd.org/tinymce/js/tinymce/plugins/moxiemanager/data/files/SchoolMessenger%20App%20-%20Family%20FAQ.pdf
SchoolMessenger Sign Up Instructions - http://www.rhinebeckcsd.org/tinymce/js/tinymce/plugins/moxiemanager/data/files/SchoolMessenger%20App%20Sign%20Up%20Instructions%202017-18.pdf
We have added multiple categories so that you are able to decide how you would like to receive messages from the District. The following categories are available for you to receive messages and a description about what type of messages you would receive based on the category:
Emergency – used for emergency purposes; messages are sent via phone, email and text. This feature has been used when schools have been delayed for unusual circumstances, such as a power failure.
Non-School Hour Emergency – as above, but for weekends and nights.
Attendance – used to inform parents and guardians of a student’s absence.
Athletics – new category to potentially be used to send out weekly sport schedules, updates, and other information in regards to the athletic program.
Community Announcements – new category that will be used to provide information from local non-profit groups such as the Rhinebeck Science Foundation, PTSO, Town of Rhinebeck, etc.
Delays and Closings – new category to receive notices of delays and closings; if you would like to receive a phone call you will need to opt-in to receive calls.
Food Service – new category that will be used to receive weekly and/or monthly menus, other information regarding our food service program, and low and/or negative balances.
School Announcements – new category that will be used to communicate information from individual schools or the District. For employees, you must have your RCSD email address and it would be helpful to include a personal email address for times, such as the summer and recess periods, when you may not be monitoring your RCSD email address.
Survey – this category isn’t used by the District. The District primarily uses Survey Monkey for surveying purposes and will be sent to the appropriate parties through School Announcements.
Transportation – new category to receive general information about transportation, but more importantly to receive information about specific route information, such as specific delays, route combinations, etc.
Each parent/guardian/employee now has his/her own individual account. So what does that mean?
- Each parent/guardian now has a SchoolMessenger account, so each parent will receive messages on the primary phone and email we have listed for you.
- Non-custodial parents will now receive phone notifications (if we have your number in SchoolTool student database), unless you opt out using the new SchoolMessenger App.
- All parents/guardians who want to receive a 5:00 am closing/delay call must opt into using the App. Please sign up for the SchoolMessenger App immediately so that you get the information you want, the way you want it!
- You must sign up for the App to set up your preferences. This includes opting into the 5:00 am closing/delay call and setting up text messaging (if desired).
- The district has automatically added one primary phone number and one email per parent/guardian to SchoolMessenger to receive notification. If you want to receive message at any other phone number or email address, you must add this contact information through the App.
The SchoolMessenger App: How it works:
The SchoolMessenger App provides access to all the messages and information sent by the Rhinebeck Central School District. Accessible from any internet-enabled device (mobile phones, laptops, desktops, and Ipads), the SchoolMessenger App visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. The SchoolMessenger App also allows you to customize how to receive communications from the school and district. If you download the app on your mobile phone, you will be able to receive push notifications.
How do I sign up for the SchoolMessenger App?
You must have a valid email address and it must be listed as the primary email address in SchoolMessenger. If you have a SchoolTool (Parent) Portal account, you will use your Parent Portal email address. For most employess it’s your school district email address, but it could be your personal email address in some instances.
Follow these steps:
- Download the SchoolMessenger App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market, OR you can also access the SchoolMessenger App web portal at https://go.schoolmessenger.com. This can be accomplished from a mobile phone, laptop, desktop, Ipad or any other type of device that has access to the Internet.
- Click the “Sign Up” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure link. Note: If you receive a “this account already exists” error message that means you already created a SchoolMessenger account in Contact Manager using the email address in SchoolTool. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login with your old Contact Manager credentials. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed. You can then skip Step 3.
- After authenticating via the link sent to your email, return to the SchoolMessenger App and sign in using your email and password.
- Complete the profile screen by filling in your name and choosing “Parent” from the selection of “Parent, Teacher, Student” to indicate contact type. Everybody needs to select Parent even if you are an employee. Press Save.
- Once the profile is completed, you will see the message screen that lists any recent messages (like the one you are receiving today).
- To view messages, check student contacts, and change/add preferences and contact information, click on the menu icon (three parallel lines) on the top left.
- If you would like to receive push notifications, go to “Settings” and turn push notifications on.
Any changes you make to your contact preference profile are for SchoolMessenger notifications ONLY and will not affect your emergency contact information at your child’s school. If you wish to make changes to your child’s recorded emergency contact list, you must contact your school directly.
If you have any issues setting up your account, please contact SchoolMessenger at (800) 920-3897.