The following regulations govern the use of video cameras:
1. Video cameras will be used on school buses transporting students to and from school or extra curricular activities or trips at the discretion of the Business Official who is in charge of the transportation program.
2. The District will notify students and their parents/guardians, and staff at the beginning of each school year that video cameras may be used on school buses and in school buildings.
3. Video cameras will be used in locations in school buildings and on school property as deemed appropriate by the Superintendent of Schools or designee.
4. Staff and students are prohibited from tampering or otherwise interfering with video camera equipment.
5. Video recordings will be maintained as long as the district deems it necessary to do so and in compliance with the latest records retention schedule. Generally, video recordings will be stored for seven days after initial recordings, whereupon such recordings may be released for erasure. Video recordings held for review of student incidents or for other purposes deemed appropriate by the district will be maintained in their original form pending resolution of the incident. Tapes will then wither be released for erasure or kept, as necessary, as part of the student’s educational record or other district record. All video recordings will be stored and secured to avoid tampering and ensure confidentiality.
6. The district will comply with the provisions of federal law regarding student records requirements as applicable in the district’s use of video recordings. Video recordings considered for retention as part of a student’s educational record will be maintained in accordance with established student record procedures governing access, review and release of student and other school district records.
7. A written log will be maintained of the date the recording was made, the vehicle or area of the building videotaped, the name of the bus driver, if applicable, the date of viewing and the signature of the viewer.
8. Review of videotapes from buses will be conducted by the terminal manager of the bus company, the building principal, and the Business Official as deemed necessary.
9. Review of videotapes from buildings will be conducted by the building principal and assistant principals/dean of students.
10. The Superintendent of Schools or designee may review any videotapes.
11. Viewing of the videotapes will be permitted only at designated school sites, including the transportation office, school buildings, or central administration offices.